Brexit Briefing: FTSE 100 Shrugs as Cut in Corporation Tax is Delayed
FTSE 100 price, Brexit news and analysis:
- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has shelved a proposed cut in corporation tax, arguing that more money needs to be spent on public services.
- That might have been expected to hit the London stock market but share prices have continued to climb.
FTSE 100 outlook positive despite business tax cut delay
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has decided to delay a cut in corporation tax previously planned as he comes under pressure to spend more on public services.
In a bizarre development in the runup to the UK General Election on December 12, a government minister explained in a radio interview that this was due to the “Laffer Curve” effect – a controversial economic concept suggesting that cutting tax rates can increase total tax revenues up until a certain point at which revenues start to decline.
The interviewer – fortunately a former BBC economic editor – was forced to explain this theory to those listeners without a qualification in economic theory.
As a general rule, news of a delay in a cut in corporation tax might have been expected to lower UK share prices but they continued to rise, implying some underlying strength.
FTSE 100 Price Chart, Five-Minute Timeframe (November 19, 2019)
Chart by IG (You can click on it for a larger image)
Brexit Glossary – Brexit Jargon and Terms Explained
Meanwhile, data suggesting that Boris Johnson’s Conservative Party has a 13-point lead over Labour according to an average of comparable general election polls from the last seven days has been well received in the London stock market, which generally prefers Conservative governments.
The poll of polls, compiled by PA Media, puts the Conservatives on 42%, with Jeremy Corbyn’s Opposition Labour Party behind on 29%.
Brexit Timeline – The Path Ahead
We look at Sterling regularly in the DailyFX Trading Global Markets Decoded podcasts that you can find here on Apple or wherever you go for your podcasts
Resources to help you trade the forex markets:
Whether you are a new or an experienced trader, at DailyFX we have many resources to help you:
- Analytical and educational webinars hosted several times per day,
- Trading guides to help you improve your trading performance,
- A guide specifically for those who are new to forex,
- And you can learn how to trade like an expert by reading our guide to the Traits of Successful Traders.
— Written by Martin Essex, Analyst and Editor
Feel free to contact me via the comments section below, via email at [email protected] or on Twitter @MartinSEssex